Sunday, January 30, 2011

Grandpa Jake's Funeral

My Grandpa had another Stroke, this time much larger with much more damage. It left him completely paralyzed on his left side and unable to see. He was able to communicate a little, but hard to understand. After a lot of discussions between his children and others and with him, the decision was made to not take any measures to prolong his life.
The girls and I and AJ were able to go down and spend the weekend at my parents and spend time at the hospital with grandpa and to say goodbye. He passed away on Jan. 17th, 2011, after we left to come home. My Grandma passed away almost 17 years earlier, when Jordan was 1 month old, from breast cancer. After 17 years he was able to join her. What a joyous reunion that must have been. It was a much different feel than the time of a funeral almost 2 years ago for precious baby Carter. Knowing that someone lived a long wonderful life and was going to meet someone on the other side is a much different feel than compared to a baby passing away. Cassady liked the idea that Grandpa could help take care of Baby Carter.
His funeral was the next weekend on Cassady's 7th birthday. It was a nice service. My cousin did a little memory's talk. He sealed most of us grand kids who had been married in the temple. He sealed Josh and I and Jordan 15 years ago. He talked about cleaning out my grandparents garage for 5 hours and not getting rid of 1 thing. My grandpa always wearing bright colored jumpsuits. Him being a huge BYU fan and the discussions that caused at family get together's with the big Ute's fans.
It was a little long for my babies and we ended up in a bench that had a thin tall window with a little ledge at the bottom just big enough for one baby to stand in, not big enough for 2. You can imagine the problem that caused. They did pretty good.
AJ was a pal bearer. He had a boutineer. I thought he would tear it apart, but he thought it was the coolest thing. We pinned it on his suit coat and he would just turn his head and smell it. He didn't want us to take it off when we got into the car for the drive to Moroni, where the cemetery was. Of coarse the babies were asleep in seconds after getting in the car.
We drove the drive to the cemetery hoping the weather would hold out. By the time we got to Moroni, where they had feet of snow on the ground already it was snowing lightly and really windy and cold.
I never thought about the military being there at the burial. My grandpa fought in WW 2. Those men wanted to be there before anyone got there so they were there early, an hour before any of us got there and stood there until everyone arrived and was there through the whole ceremony. They must have been popsicles. I had never been to a burial, with military there. I was standing the back with Addison and knew she would not like the guns going off. I kept telling her it was going to be loud.


After they shot the salute, she kept signing all done and pointing towards the car. It was pretty cool when they played taps.



AJ put his flower on the grave and then had fun taking the flowers of the wreaths and putting them on the casket.

TrevorBob
After all the boutineers were put on the casket my uncle Ron went and got a blue flower from the BYU wreath and put it on the casket.
So my uncle Gordon went and got a red flower to put on the casket to represent the U of U, that's why the big smile.
My dad followed with a red too!

My kiddo's
A great picture of my mom and dad!

After all this we met my whole family at Marie Calendars where we had a little party for Cass's birthday. They gave us our own room. Why? because we had me, Josh, our 5 kids. Bob and Kelli and their 5 kids, Mom and Dad, and Tevor and his girlfriend Darcy. It was really nice and fun for Cass! She loves spending time with her cousins. It was a busy weekend, but a nice one.

No comments: